Kachhwa is very famous for it's grapefruits. Not much cherished by everyone in the campus, it is a major attraction for our family. All of us except Shalom likes it.
Ingredients (for a 9 inch baking pan) - - -
Grapefruit - 1
Zest of 1 grapefruit - about 4 teaspoons
Eggs - 3 nos
Butter - 1 cup
Flour - 2 cups
Sugar - 1 cup
Baking powder - 2 teaspoon
Dried grapes - 1/2 cup
Candied grape fruit peel - 1/2 cup
Candied colored papaya (assorted colors) - 1 cup
** If you want to use cooking oil instead of butter, you need half a cup oil instead of the 1 cup of butter and 4 eggs instead of 3 eggs. A 1/4 cup of additional flour will give more firmness to the cake when you use oil.
1. Peel the grapefruit and take the juicy parts of the fruit. Remove as much peel as possible. The rind gives a very sour taste.
2. Sift the flour, along with baking powder and the candied grape fruit peel, grapes and the tooti fruiti. Sieve the flour to separate the flour coated fruits.
3. Cream the butter and sugar.
4. To the above batter, add the eggs one after the other and cream.
5. Add the grapefruit and the zest to this mixture and mix.
5. Now, incorporate the flour to the batter.
6. Using a spatula, fold the flour coated fruits into the batter.
7. Bake at 160 degree celcius for 50-60 minutes or till a tooth pick comes out clean.
So, chances are that you will be served grapefruit cake if you visit us over the next couple of days.
Wish you all a blessed time during this Christmas. May the New Year see the Almighty bring you the choicest blessings . . .