Friday, July 3, 2015

Dangers of searching revisited

We had one more snake bite victim who got bitten just because she did not look at where she was putting her hand. Being a adolescent girl in a rural Indian household, she was doing her chores as part of the routine of her household. 

Arti was in charge of rolling out rotis every day morning. 

It was just another routine day which ended up being a nightmare for her and the family. For along with the wooden slab and rolling pin, which were used to flatten the lumps of wheatflour dough, was a krait which must have been attracted to the cool environment of the wood in a hot Indian summer. 

Arti put her hand into the pile of vessels which also contained the wooden slab and rolling pin. The bite was not painful. She did not develop symptoms immediately. First it was a difficulty in keeping her eyes open, which was followed by a funny sensation in the throat. 

It was dawn when she was bitten, but by the time she reached us it was late evening. Her condition was so bad that she could hardly breath. She needed mechanical ventilation. 

However, she was lucky to be weaned out within 48 hours. 

Well . . .  another warning about putting your hands into spaces without looking if there is danger lurking. 

Arti with her parents just before discharge . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment