Monday, April 21, 2014

Maybe, we should have send her home . . .

Couple of days back, we had a very sick pregnant lady being wheeled in.

As DD was wheeled in, we were quite sure that we were dealing with a very sick patient. She had been in labour for more than 4 days. It was very obvious that she had been through a tough time. She was in a terrible shape; all bloated up; the birth canal was so edematous. The baby was obviously dead. The head was so high up and appeared to be stuck. The abdomen had a very abnormal contour which is quite commonly seen with those who sustained a rupture uterus.

There was a high chance that the bowel and the bladder were all ischaemic because of the abdominal massage she had over the last 4 days. There was only a 4-5 centimeter diameter of the birth canal. Even if we tried a craniotomy, there was high chance of severe birth canal injuries. There was also a chance of a rupture uterus.

She was also in severe sepsis.

There was only one thing that we could think about . . . to operate and remove the dead baby. The family were very very poor. They had not even a single rupee to take. They had been to couple of other places. The travel from their home to the various centres and lastly to NJH had taken up all the money they had.

Considering the chance of a rupture uterus and bowel injury, we decided to operate. On hindsight, the decision was a ill thought one. The uterus was not ruptured. But, the lower segment was like mincemeat. Putrefaction had set on the baby. On opening the uterus, there was a gush of pus and foul smelling gases.

The bladder was distended and edematous. So was the bowel. There was no necrosis or ischemia . . . but it was obviously unhealthy to look at.

I somehow closed the uterus and came out of surgery.

She did well for the first 24 hours. Then, her condition just deteriorated. She was running high grade fever round the clock. We had to hook her to the ventilator. There was foul smelling material coming out of the uterus. Her urine output was fine, but it was getting bloody and brownish. Her creatinine is about 6.

Today evening, she is all puffed up.

The costs of the treatment has been on the house. However, we will not be able to give her high end antibiotics like Piperacillin-Tazobactum. We helped the family arrange one pint of blood. We’re quite sure that we would not get any payment for this patient. The family had a RSBY card. We’ve blocked her under the scheme.

Please remember DD in your prayers . . .  


  1. wishes to her and your team

  2. God Bless You for your services and asking for us to pray for her. Some Random person some random act of kindness.