Friday, March 15, 2013

Thoughts on agriculture . . .


I was in my post graduate alma mater, the Christian Medical College, Vellore, the last couple of days. And I had quite a long journey back to NJH.

I happened to go through photographs taken during my time at the Community Health and Development Department. 

The following series of snaps were taken during one of the programs we have for medical students. 

The first snap shows a group of women planting paddy on the fields.


As I finished the shot, I was surprised to see a group of students coming back from school. 

First came the boys . . .


Then the girls . . .


As they vanished from sight, I wondered if their education would be a hurdle for them to work in the fields. 


My grandfather used to work in similar paddy fields. After education and literacy came to our village, there was nobody to work in the fields and they lie vacant. Everybody was busy getting graduation and jobs in the city . . . and abroad . . .

As I was pondering over it, in came dark clouds which looked like foretelling that the future looks bleak . . .


1 comment: